5 Plumbing Tricks Every Homeowner Should Know
As a homeowner, plumbing problems are inevitable. From clogged drains to leaking pipes, plumbing issues can be time-consuming and expensive. Fortunately, there are some plumbing tricks that can help you save time and money. This blog post will cover five plumbing tricks that could come in handy the next time you experience a problem with your plumbing in Cedar City.
- Unclogging Drains: If you’re dealing with a clogged drain, the simplest solution is to use a plumbing snake or auger. This tool can be found at your local hardware store and is designed to reach deep into plumbing systems to break up blockages. Make sure to follow all instructions with the plumbing snake, as improper use can damage plumbing pipes and fixtures.
- Leaky Pipes: If you’re dealing with a leaky pipe, the first step is to turn off your water supply at the main valve. This will stop the flow of water from entering your plumbing system and cause further damage. Once that’s done, locate the leak’s source and shut off any valves connected to it. From there, you’ll need to either call in a plumbing professional or attempt to repair the pipe yourself with appropriate materials.
- Frozen Pipes: Frozen pipes are a common plumbing issue in cold climates. To thaw out your pipes, turn on the faucet connected to them and then use a hair dryer or heat lamp to slowly thaw out the pipe. Ensure not to force any water through the line while it’s frozen. Instead, wait until you’re sure it has been adequately thawed before attempting to use your plumbing system again.
- Shutting Off Water: Every homeowner should know how to shut off the main water valve in their house in case of an emergency plumbing issue. Most plumbing systems have a main valve typically found near where the plumbing system enters your home. If you’re ever unsure about where this is located, you can always call a plumbing professional that can help you locate it.
- Preventing Clogs: Regular plumbing maintenance is the best way to prevent plumbing issues like clogs and leaks. Make sure to routinely check your plumbing system for any signs of wear and tear and take quick action if you notice something amiss. It may also be a good idea to invest in plumbing products such as plumbing snakes and augers that can help you reach deep into your plumbing system to break up blockages.
Keeping these tips in mind will ensure that your plumbing system remains in good working order for years to come. If you’re ever in doubt about plumbing maintenance or repairs, it’s always best to call a professional plumbing service that can provide assistance and advice. Talk to the pros today!
Infographic provided by Feldco, residential roof replacement